…well, most of it. The dark, creepy portions of it anyway.
Even though I was exhausted (and a tad whiny), Adam managed to convince me to spend a few more hours prepping the room to paint the other night. Seriously, he held the grey paint sample in front of my face, I was like one of those dogs chasing a hot dog. Sure, I’ll sand! Sure, I’ll prime!
Well, I’ll prime, because Adam had gotten a head start on spackling up the leftover holes from removing the chair rail. After letting the spackle harden, he grabbed a few sheets of 3M’s General Purpose 150 grit sandpaper to ward off any lumps or bumps. For the especially tough spots (and after his arm got tired from sanding), he turned to his trusty Ryobi Finish Sander.
After we had a nice, smooth finish, I grabbed my can of primer and got to work. We actually used a can of leftover trim paint that we found in the garage from the previous owners. In an effort to save some green, we decided to use what we had on hand for the first few coats that would eventually be unseen, and use our saved pennies for the final coat.
I worked around the room, covering up the bottom portion of the wall that was painted a dark mauve, carefully feathering the top line into the light pink portion so there wouldn’t be any ridges. We thought about priming the entire wall, but since the top portion is such a light color, it only seemed necessary on the bottom portion, as along as we didn’t leave any distinct lines of paint.
Voila! The pink is gone! But we’re not done quite yet. Priming the wall left a clean slate behind, but those areas that needed additional spackling and sanding became more pronounced. Adam had his work cut out for him.
So while he was tackling the problem spots with a second spackle/sand coat, I decided to slap a coat of primer on the window trims as well. Using our trim brush I carefully cut in around the wood, careful not to cover the caulking with paint. Although it doesn’t damage the caulking, paint doesn’t stick to silicone completely and will peel at the slightest touch later on. I figured I’d avoid the problem by leaving the caulking alone.
Here’s a close-up of the windowsill, you can see the slight line of caulking along the bottom trim. It really doesn’t appear that yellow in real life, it’s hardly noticeable actually since the caulking on our windows is a clear silicone. Later on, when it needs redoing, we’ll probably opt for a silicone caulking with a white color base to blend into the window panes a bit more.
Feeling accomplished I thought I’d tackle another project, but time ran out as storms rolled in, making it impossible to keep the windows open for good airflow. Which is essential considering we were using paint containing VOCs as our primer. We’ll opt for low-VOC paint when we get going on the final coat, but it’s hard to pass up free materials.TAG